Saturday, August 3, 2013

Chrome Sparks/Jeremy Malvin


I met Jeremy a couple of months ago after a short e-mail correspondence asking if he'd allow me to interview him for my music project. When he finally made it to Oklahoma, The Manhattan/Michigan based artist looked beyond confused standing at the door of The Conservatory, and I was beyond disgusted that there was only a crowd of ten or so for such an amazing artist. I sat at the bar until their set, drank one too many Boulevard, conversed with a crackhead in the parking lot and when he finally got on stage, I was the only one in the crowd, standing there like a wide eyed confused donkey. I kept thinking he probably would of done better at Kamps where the electronic crowd tends to hang out. It was kind of sad, he just looked around and said, "What's up, Jen?" I stood there and scribbled and watched anyways, later noticing a crowd forming. I didn't really care, as nobody really seemed to appreciate his sound here in Oklahoma City. I was amazed at how fast he was setting up, and how comfortable he seemed albeit me, the critic, being the only one in the audience. The stage presence was quite amazing really. They were all quite in sync, like tiny robots working to produce amazing noise. He's currently touring in the U.K, and I certainly hope we get the chance to see him in Oklahoma again.

He's grown a lot since his 2011 debut, my <3. It still happens to be one of my favorites, though the limited edition of Sparks is a bit more introspective, and feels a lot more personal. He definitely has a niche sound, lots of light, xylophone shredding, amazing synth, really unique samples, lovely vocals and gentle breaks. Nontheless, both albums are full of way underrated Gems and nobody sounds even remotely similar to Chrome Sparks. My favorite tracks off of sparks have to be Luna Luxor or Claps of cosmic love for the dreamy xylophone, fun samples, and the super secret fact that I dance around while cleaning my house to this album. It also helped me tremendously through detox, and these two albums are like ten of my records that got play at that time. I toyed around with some of his songs, but I'll never post them!

To be brutally honest, the album My <3 still has MY heart, though. :) I'm linking both, because they're just that awesome.





Sidenote: Jeremy can pound the fuck out of a xylophone. No Joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment